Jira is a widely used project management and issue tracking tool developed by Atlassian. It provides teams with a platform to plan, track, and manage tasks, projects, and software development processes, helping to streamline collaboration and improve project visibility. This Jira app primarily focuses on issues management.
Before setting up
Before you can connect you need to make sure that:
- You have an Atlassian account and Jira site.
- You have a project created.
- You have the right permissions.
If you want to use Jira webhooks, you need to:
- Log in as a user with Administer Jira global permission.
- In top right corner choose > System. Under Advanced, select WebHooks.
- In top right corner choose Create a WebHook.
- In URL field specify
- Make sure that Status is Enabled.
- Select everything under Issue related events > Issue.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Create.
Adding custom fields
To create custom fields, follow this guide. Once the custom fields you need are created, you need to:
- Choose > Projects in top right corner.
- For the project you are interested in, select > Project settings.
- Select Issue types from the left panel.
- Click on issue type to which you want to add created custom fields.
- Locate Search all fields search bar in the right panel.
- Search for the field you are interested in and drag it to issue’s fields.
- Click Save changes button.
Note: this app currently supports only short text (plain text only) custom fields.
- Navigate to apps and search for Jira. If you cannot find Jira then click Add App in the top right corner, select Jira and add the app to your Blackbird environment.
- Click Add Connection.
- Name your connection for future reference e.g. ‘My organization’.
- Fill in the base URL to the Jira site you want to connect to. The base URL is of shape
https://<organization name>.atlassian.net. You can usually copy this part of the URL when you are logged into your Jira instance.
- Click Authorize connection.
- Follow the instructions that Jira gives you, authorizing Blackbird.io to act on your behalf.
- When you return to Blackbird, confirm that the connection has appeared and the status is Connected.
- Get issue returns the details for an issue (summary, description, status, priority, assignee, project).
- List recently created issues returns issues created during past hours in a specific project.
- Get issue transitions returns either all transitions or a transition that can be performed by the user on an issue. Transition can also be thought of as status (e.g. To Do/In Progress/Done).
- List attachments returns a list of files attached to an issue.
- Download attachment returns the contents of an attachment.
- Get value of custom string field returns the value of custom string field of specific issue. If value is not set, empty value is returned.
- Transition issue performs an issue transition.
- Create issue.
- Add attachment adds attachment to an issue.
- Assign issue.
- Update issue summary.
- Update issue description.
- Prioritize issue sets priority for an issue (e.g. High/Medium/Low).
- Set value of custom string field sets the value of custom string field of specific issue.
- Delete issue.
- Get all users.
- On issue updated is triggered when an issue is updated. If you want a bird to be triggered when specific issue is updated, specify the issue parameter. Otherwise, you can specify project parameter if you are interested in specific project’s issues.
- On issue created is triggered when an issue is created. If you want a bird to be triggered when an issue is created in specific project, fill the project parameter.
- On issue assigned is triggered when an issue is assigned to specific user. You can specify project parameter if you’re interested in specific project.
- On issue with specific type created is triggered when an issue created has specific type (for example, a bug) or an existing issue was updated to have specific type. Optionally, you can specify project parameter.
- On issue with specific priority created is triggered when an issue created has the specified priority or an existing issue was updated to have the specified priority.
- On issue deleted is triggered when an issue is deleted. If you want a bird to be triggered when an issue is deleted in specific project, fill the project parameter.
- On file attached to issue is triggered when a file is attached to an issue. If you want a bird to be triggered when a file is attached to specific issue, specify the issue parameter. Otherwise, you can specify project parameter if you are interested in specific project’s issues.
- On issue status changed is triggered when issue status is changed. If you want a bird to be triggered when specific issue’s status is changed, specify the issue parameter. Otherwise, you can specify project parameter if you are interested in specific project’s issues.
This example bird fetches newest issues and assigns those with highest priority to a specific assignee.
In the future we can add actions for:
- Different custom fields
- Issue comments
Let us know if you’re interested!